The Terrain is an unpathable part of the battleground. Trees, rocks or cliffs are examples of such terrains. Heroes can also not see over terrain. After the destruction of a Fort or Keep, they still leave a rubble of unpathable terrain. Some abilities however, do Heroes allow to jump, see or fly over terrain.
Terrain Outlines are displayed on terrain when playing Diablo, Hanzo, Hogger, Junkrat, Lúcio, or Qhira. This allows those Heroes a more accurate view of what can be used for jumps, Frag Launcher bounces and Wall Rides.
Pass over Terrain
Terrain collision effects
- Auriel's Detainment Strike: Deals damage and knocks Heroes back. If they collide with terrain, they are also stunned and take additional damage.
- Diablo's Shadow Charge: Charge an enemy, knocking them back. If the enemy collides with terrain, they are stunned and take additional damage.
- Hogger's Staggering Blow: Deals damage and knocks enemies back in an arch. If they collide with terrain, they are also stunned.
- Stukov's Massive Shove: If it hits an enemy Hero, they are rapidly shoved until they collide with terrain, taking damage.
Terrain interaction effects
- Hanzo's Natural Agility: Hanzo can jump over terrain.
- Hanzo's Scatter Arrow: Scatter Arrow can collide with terrain and Structures, splitting into extra arrows.
- Hogger's Hogg Wild: Dash in the targeted direction, bouncing off terrain. Hitting terrain refreshes the duration.
- Junkrat's Frag Launcher: Grenades can ricochet off of terrain.
- Lúcio's Wall Ride: When moving alongside impassable terrain, Lucio can walk through other units, and his Movement Speed is increased.
- Lúcio's Push Off: When moving alongside impassable terrain, Lucio can activate this to dash a short distance and slow enemies he passes through.
- Qhira's Grappling Hook: If the ability hits terrain, Qhira is pulled to it.
- Hogger's trait Loot Hoard creates a small piece of terrain in a target area for 5 seconds.
- Hogger's level 10 heroic Hoardapult creates a small piece of terrain in a target area for up to 20 seconds, rapidly decaying while Hogger isn't nearby.
Pathing blocking units prevent units from travelling through their area, but do not interact with all abilities with terrain interaction. Vehicles, Bosses and Objectives are not affected by pathing blockers.
- Kel'Thuzad's ability Glacial Spike creates a small pillar for 4 seconds that he can chain enemies to with Chains of Kel'Thuzad.
- Leoric's level 10 heroic Entomb creates three walls in a corridor shape in front of him for 4 seconds.
- Mei's level 10 heroic Ice Wall creates a wall in a target area for 2.5 seconds that traps enemies hit by it in Time Stop.
- Nazeebo's ability Zombie Wall summons a ring of zombies that prevent pathing for 3 seconds. Zombies can be killed and displaced.
- Sgt. Hammer's level 4 talent Barricade adds an additional effect to her Concussive Blast ability, creating a wall for 4 seconds.
- Sonya's level 20 talent Arreat Crater adds an additional effect to her Leap heroic, creating a circular wall around her area of impact for 5 seconds.
- Tassadar's ability Force Wall creates a wall at a target location for 2 seconds.
- Thrall's level 20 talent Worldbreaker adds an additional effect to his Sundering heroic, creating a wall in the area for 3 seconds.
- Tyrael's level 13 talent Holy Ground adds an additional effect to his El'Druin's Might ability, creating a circular area for 3 seconds upon teleporting that only allies can pass through.