Heroes of the Storm
|"Heroes of the Storm"|
|June 2, 2015|
|Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X|
Heroes of the Storm is a Blizzard Entertainment "hero brawler" game, initially inspired by the Defense of the Ancients custom map for Warcraft III. The game features Heroes from across the Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo and Overwatch franchises, as well as original Heroes and Heroes from classic Blizzard games, who are seized by an unknown force and brought together in a mysterious location known as the Nexus to do battle.
After a lengthy alpha test period, Heroes of the Storm entered closed beta on January 13, 2015, went into open beta on May 19, and was fully released on June 2, 2015.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Heroes of the Storm has a number of features which set it apart from other DOTA-style games:
- Experience is shared among all players on a team and there is no gold or in-game item shop, so there is no benefit to last hitting. When a team reaches a certain experience point threshold, every Hero on that team levels up, acquiring amplified resources and damage. Every few levels, players may select a talent which offers a new ability or augments an existing one. This leveling system emphasizes the importance of teamwork and planning, since a player's actions can affect the whole team.
- There are no purchasable items, although characters can be customized by learning talents as they level up.
- All skills are unlocked at the beginning of a match, save for Heroic abilities, which are learned at level 10 for most Heroes.
- Most Heroes can also use a mount, such as horses, lizards, or unicorns, to increase their Movement Speed, typically automatically dismounting when dealing/receiving damage or using an ability.
- Games are intended to last for about 20 minutes each.
- Every game mode features multiple battlegrounds. Non-ARAM battlegrounds feature unique objectives.
Heroes[edit | edit source]
Heroes that have been released since June 30, 2015 include:
- Diablo: Auriel, Azmodan, Cassia, Deckard, Diablo, Imperius, Johanna, Kharazim, Leoric, Li-Ming, Malthael, Mephisto, Nazeebo, Sonya, The Butcher, Tyrael, Valla, and Xul
- Overwatch: Ana, D.Va, Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, Lúcio, Mei, Tracer and Zarya
- StarCraft: Abathur, Alarak, Artanis, Blaze, Dehaka, Fenix, Kerrigan, Lt. Morales, Nova, Probius, Raynor, Sgt. Hammer, Stukov, Tassadar, Tychus, Zagara, and Zeratul
- Warcraft: Alexstrasza, Anduin, Anub'arak, Arthas, Brightwing, Chen, Cho'gall, Chromie, Deathwing, E.T.C., Falstad, Garrosh, Gazlowe, Greymane, Gul'dan, Hogger, Illidan, Jaina, Kael'thas, Kel'Thuzad, Li Li, Lunara, Maiev, Malfurion, Mal'Ganis, Medivh, Muradin, Murky, Ragnaros, Rehgar, Rexxar, Samuro, Stitches, Sylvanas, Thrall, Tyrande, Uther, Valeera, Varian, Whitemane, Yrel and Zul'jin
- The Lost Vikings: The Lost Vikings
- Heroes of the Storm: Orphea, Qhira
Characters that have been seen in artwork, trailers, or other previews include:
Other characters Blizzard was considering include Aggra, Aidan, Azshara, Belial, Blackthorne, Brann, Cenarius, Cydaea, Dagg'um Ty'gor, Dr. Boom, Druid, Gallywix, Ghom, Grom, Harth, Hybrid Zerg, Kil'jaeden, Kronan, Leah, Mengsk, Moira, Overmind, Paladin, Reinhardt, Sapper, SCV, Selendis, Snake, Sorceress, Tosh, Valerian, Varimathras, Vashj, Velen, Vol'jin, Warfield and Zurvan.
Future development[edit | edit source]
On December 13, 2018, Blizzard announced that some developers from Heroes of the Storm would be moving to other projects, and that the game would be transitioning to a long-term maintenance phase. Blizzard also announced the cancellation of their esports tournaments, Heroes Global Championship and Heroes of the Dorm. Members of the esports community around Heroes stated they were caught off guard by the announcement and had been told as recently as BlizzCon 2018 that HGC would continue.
Heroes of the Storm franchise battlegrounds[edit | edit source]
Heroes of the Storm franchise heroes[edit | edit source]
There are currently 2 Nexus heroes in the game, including 1 Melee Assassin and 1 Ranged Assassin.
Melee Assassin[edit | edit source]
Ranged Assassin[edit | edit source]
Trailers[edit | edit source]
Developer updates[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The original name - Blizzard DOTA - was at the heart of a legal battle between Valve, who wanted to trademark "DOTA" for their own use, and Blizzard, who wanted to prevent the trademark so that it could be freely used by the gaming community. Ultimately, they decided that DOTA could be freely used non-commercially, while Valve retained exclusive rights to its commercial usage. As a result, Blizzard DOTA was renamed Blizzard All-Stars. Rob Pardo commented that the new title "ultimately better reflects the design of our game." On October 17, 2013, the game was renamed yet again to Heroes of the Storm.
- Blizzard does not use the terms "ARTS" or "MOBA", feeling that the game is more accurately described as a "hero brawler".
References[edit | edit source]
- GameSpot: Blizzard explains why it doesn't call Heroes of the Storm a MOBA
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- Unique Hero Kill Voiceovers, accessed on 2014-03-09
- Heroes of the Storm Pax East 2014 Panel, New Characters, Character Creation Q & A Full Conference, accessed on 2014-07-13
- HotS datamine: unannounced heroes (ru), accessed on 2014-10-22
- Heroes of the Storm News . . .
- PC Gamer: Heroes of the Storm pros furious over Blizzard's decision to discontinue HGC
- Valve and Blizzard settle over use of DOTA
- Battle.Net: Heroes of the Storm
[edit | edit source]
|Main_||Blizzard Entertainment (Activision Blizzard • BlizzCon • Blizzard North • Blizzard South • Worldwide Invitational) • Battle.net (Battle.net 2.0 • Battle.net Balance) • Blizzard Insider • BlizzCast • Battle.net Shop • Blizzard Gear|
|Entertainment_||Applications_||Battle.net Desktop app|
|Games_||Warcraft (Hearthstone) • Diablo • StarCraft • Heroes of the Storm • Overwatch|
|Other_||BattleTag • Real ID • Developer Insights (blog)|
|Blizzard Entertainment category (Employees)|
† = no longer active