"With every death comes honor. With honor, redemption."
|Price||750 / 10,000|
|Release Date||December 12, 2017|
Hanzo, Master Assassin, is a Ranged Assassin Hero from the Overwatch franchise. Once heir to the Shimada clan's criminal empire, Hanzo abandoned his birthright after he almost killed his younger brother. He now strives to perfect his skills as a warrior, and sees the Nexus and its endless conflict as the ideal training ground.
This section concerns content exclusive to the Overwatch universe.
Mastering his skills as a bowman and an assassin, Hanzo Shimada strives to prove himself as a warrior without peer.
The Shimada family was established centuries ago, a clan of assassins whose power grew over the years, enabling them to build a vast criminal empire that profited from lucrative trade in arms and illegal substances. As the eldest son of the family's head, Hanzo was bound by duty to succeed his father and rule the Shimada empire. From a young age, he was trained for that responsibility, displaying a natural aptitude for leadership and possessing an innate understanding of strategy and tactics. He also excelled in more practical areas: he was a prodigy in martial arts, swordplay, and bowmanship.
Upon the death of his father just like his mother, the clan elders instructed Hanzo to straighten out his wayward younger brother so that he, too, might help rule the Shimada empire. When his brother refused, Hanzo was forced to kill him. This act broke Hanzo's heart and drove him to reject his father's legacy, ultimately leading him to abandon the clan and all that he had worked so hard to attain.
Now, Hanzo travels the world, perfecting his skills as a warrior, attempting to restore his honor and put the ghosts of his past to rest.
Hanzo is a Ranged Assassin who specializes in scouting and taking out enemies from a distance.
- See Data Page for a table of scaled values at key levels.
❢ Quest: Hit every enemy Hero with Storm Bow
❢ Reward: After hitting every enemy Hero once with Storm Bow, its range is increased by 30%
❢ Reward: After hitting every enemy Hero 3 times with Storm Bow, its damage is increased by 100.
- Only affects maximum range.
- Channel time for maximum range remains the same.
❢ Quest: Hit a Hero with multiple arrows from the same Scatter Arrow cast 20 times. Each arrow hit after the second grants additional progress.
❢ Reward: Upon hitting terrain for the first time, Scatter Arrow creates two additional arrows.
❢ Quest: Every 2 Basic Attacks against the same Hero within 10 seconds grants 1 Redemption, stacking up to 12. Dying decreases Redemption by 3 and Redemption can be lost at mamimum stacks.
❢ Reward: At 12 Redemption, gain 50% Attack Speed.
Upon hitting a Minion or Monster, Storm Bow deals 60% of its damage to enemies around its target.
Scatter Arrow deals 100% more damage to Minions, Mercenaries, and Monsters.
- Stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers that can affect Scatter Arrow's damage.
Basic Attacks instantly kill Minions and increase Hanzo's Basic Attack range by 2 for 3 seconds.
Hitting a Hero with Storm Bow grants 5% Spell Power for 12 seconds, stacking up to 20%.
- Spell Power stacks are granted after the Ability has hit.
- Spell Power from The Dragon Hungers stacks additively with itself and other sources of Spell Power as well as other offensive damage and healing dealt modifiers affecting Hanzo's Spell Damage or healing output.
Reduce Scatter Arrow's Mana cost from 40 to 20. Basic Attacks against Heroes lower the cooldown of Scatter Arrow by 3 seconds.
Hitting a Hero with Storm Bow or Basic Attacks reduces their Armor by 3 for 3 seconds, up to a maximum reduction of 20 Armor.
- The Armor reduction from Storm Bow is applied before the damage is dealt, and the Armor reduction from Basic Attacks after.
- Storm Bow does not apply Armor reduction if Hanzo is Blinded or if the target is Evading, even though those status effects are only supposed to affect Basic Attacks.
- Stacks additively with itself but not with other negative Armor effects. Other defensive damage modifiers may stack.
Cooldown: 60 seconds
After 1.5 seconds, summon a pair of Spirit Dragons which travel forward, dealing 78 damage every 0.25 seconds to enemy Heroes in its area. Enemies in the center take 75% increased damage.
Cooldown: 90 seconds
Fire a missile that travels across the battleground. Explodes upon hitting an enemy Hero, dealing 100 damage to all nearby enemies and Stunning them for 0.5 seconds. After traveling a medium distance, the damage is increased to 200 and the Stun duration to 1.25 seconds. After traveling a long distance, the damage is increased to 350 and the Stun duration to 2 seconds.
Hitting a Hero with Storm Bow grants 10% Movement Speed for 6 seconds, up to 30%.
- Consecutive hits refresh the duration.
Hitting Heroes with Storm Bow lowers Natural Agility's Cooldown by 10 seconds. Additionally, Hero Takedowns reset Natural Agility's cooldown.
Reduce the cooldown of Summon Mount by 2 seconds. Upon mounting, gain 25% additional Movement Speed for 5 seconds. Using Natural Agility instantly mounts.
- Stacks additively with Mounted Movement Speed bonus, but not with other sources of Movement Speed.
Hitting Heroes with Storm Bow increases the damage of Hanzo's next Basic Attack within 5 seconds by 40%. Basic Attacks against Heroes increase the damage of Hanzo's next Storm Bow within 5 seconds by 40%.
Storm Bow and Scatter Arrow pierce, hitting an additional enemy. Additionally, Scatter Arrow can pierce through 1 enemy each time it ricochets.
Hitting a Hero with Storm Bow, Scatter Arrow, or Basic Attack reduces the cooldown of Dragonstrike by 4 seconds.
While in flight or for up to 2 seconds after impacting a target, Dragon's Arrow can be reactivated to teleport to its location and jump backwards. If used after impact, Hanzo shoots arrows that deal 263 damage to each target hit by the impact.
Natural Agility gains a 2nd charge and its cooldown is reduced by 10 seconds.
Increase Sonic Arrow's speed and center radius by 100%. Additionally, Heroes hit by Sonic Arrow's center are Stunned for 1 second.
Builds and guides
|Backstory: Once heir to the Shimada clan's criminal empire, Hanzo abandoned his birthright after he almost killed his younger brother. He now strives to perfect his skills as a warrior, and sees the Nexus and its endless conflict as the ideal training ground.|
750 / 10,000
120 / 75
120 / 75
375 / 450
|Backstory: Cpt. Shimada had his mission: to eliminate the Viper leader known as Deathfang, his brother. The government expected him to fail, but they made a mistake... they didn't realize they were dealing with Hanzo.|
|Features: Themed abilities, themed animations.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Viper organization skins.|
600 / 1,200
600 / 1,200
600 / 1,200
|Backstory: Like most farstriders, Hanzo feels more at home in the wilds than within the walls of Quel'Thalas. He diligently hones his skills in archery in preparation for the day he is named Ranger-General.|
|Features: Themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of other universes merging into Warcraft skins.|
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
Stained Glass Alexstrasza and Hanzo
Reference material for Hanzo was provided by the Overwatch development team. The size of his bow was increased and his chest and shoulders were made a little bit more beefy to give him a recognizable silhouette from the distance.
- Hanzo made his debut with Alexstrasza, during the Dragons of the Nexus event which was announced during BlizzCon 2017.
- However, his actual debut was in Overwatch (May 2016).
- Hanzo is voiced by Paul Nakauchi.
- Hanzo hails from Japan, and is 38 years old.
- One of Hanzo's gag quotes references the martial arts movie Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (October 2003).
- Hanzo's dance derives from Soran Bushi, a Japanese traditional fisherman's dance.
- Additionally, the Overwatch Anniversary event contained the Fisherman Dance as an unlockable emote.
- Hanzo's Home Screen music is from the beginning of the Overwatch animated short Dragons.
- 2017-11-23, BlizzCon 2017 Heroes of the Storm Deep Dive Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-11-26
- 2017-11-07, BlizzCon 2017 Heroes of the Storm Interview | Blizzplanet. YouTube, accessed on 2017-11-15
|Bruisers||Artanis • Chen • Deathwing • Dehaka • D.Va • Gazlowe • Hogger • Imperius • Leoric • Malthael • Ragnaros • Rexxar • Sonya • Thrall • Varian • Xul • Yrel|
|Healers||Alexstrasza • Ana • Anduin • Auriel • Brightwing • Deckard • Kharazim • Li Li • Lt. Morales • Lúcio • Malfurion • Rehgar • Stukov • Uther • Tyrande • Whitemane|
|Melee Assassins||Alarak • The Butcher • Illidan • Kerrigan • Maiev • Murky • Qhira • Samuro • Valeera • Zeratul|
|Ranged Assassins||Azmodan • Cassia • Chromie • Falstad • Fenix • Gall • Genji • Greymane • Gul'dan • Hanzo • Jaina • Junkrat • Kael'thas • Kel'Thuzad • Li-Ming • Lunara • Mephisto • Nazeebo • Nova • Orphea • Probius • Raynor • Sgt. Hammer • Sylvanas • Tassadar • Tracer • Tychus • Valla • Zagara • Zul'jin|
|Support||Abathur • The Lost Vikings • Medivh • Zarya|
|Tanks||Anub'arak • Arthas • Blaze • Cho • Diablo • E.T.C. • Garrosh • Johanna • Mal'Ganis • Mei • Muradin • Stitches • Tyrael|