"I will not be denied!"
|Price||625 / 7,000|
|Release Date||July 12, 2016|
Gul'dan, Darkness Incarnate, is a Ranged Assassin Hero from the Warcraft franchise. Abandoning the ways of Shamanism, Gul'dan entered a pact with the demon lord Kil'jaeden and betrayed his people in exchange for limitless power. With the Orcish Horde under his master's thrall, both Draenor and Azeroth nearly fell into his grasp.
Gul'dan is a sustained damage Mage who uses his Health as fuel but can steal life from his enemies.
This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Gul'dan was an Orcish Shaman from Draenor who became the first orcish warlock as well as the de facto founder of the Orcish Horde. Abandoning the ways of shamanism and betraying both his people and his mentor to the demon lord Kil'jaeden for personal power, Gul'dan was directly responsible for the orcs' fall to demonic enslavement as well as for the Horde's invasion of Azeroth. Tutored by the lord of the Burning Legion, he became the founder and master of the Shadow Council as well as the original creator of the necromantic terrors known as death knights. Gul'dan often referred to himself as "Darkness Incarnate" and the "Destroyer of Dreams", and he is considered to be one of the most powerful warlocks to have ever existed.
Gul'dan is a Ranged Assassin who is capable of dealing large amounts of close proximity AoE damage. Gul'dan does not regenerate Mana. Instead, he possesses the ability to replenish Mana using Life Tap at the cost of his own Health. This, paired with his ability to sap the health from his opponents to replenish his own allows Gul'dan to stay on the battlefield for longer, as opposed to other "mage" Heroes that constantly need to visit healing wells or hearth to the Hall of Storms to restore mana.
- Incredible sustain by means of Life Tap and Drain Life
- Fel Flame provides good waveclear
- High AoE damage output
- Health and Mana pools require constant monitoring due to their unique co-dependent relationship
- Incredibly vulnerable to crowd control
- Requires great positioning during skirmishes and teamfights
- See Data page for a table of scaled values at key levels.
❢ Quest: Hit 30 enemy Heroes with Fel Flame.
❢ Reward: Fel Flame's radius is increased by 10%.
- Increases the radius growth rate to 1.14 per tick.
Increases the cast range of Drain Life by 25% and the healing provided by Regen Globes by 50%.
❢ Quest: Gather 15 Regen Globes.
❢ Reward: Basic Ability Mana costs are permanently reduced by 20.
❢ Quest: Hit 40 enemy Heroes with Corruption.
❢ Reward: After the third strike, Corruption strikes 3 times in the opposite direction.
Drain Life's cooldown recharges 100% faster while it is channeling. If an enemy dies while under the effect of Drain Life, the cooldown is instantly refreshed.
- Cooldown gets reset if the enemy dies from anything within 1.5 seconds after being affected by Drain Life (Summon timed life expiration does not apply cooldown reset).
Increase the Mana restored by Life Tap to 40%.
Cooldown: 25 seconds
Active: Instantly kill an enemy Minion and heal for 365 Health.
Stores 3 charges.
Each enemy Hero hit with Fel Flame reduces the cooldown of Corruption by 1.75 seconds.
Drain Life deals 50% more damage and Slows the target's Movement Speed by 40%.
- Stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers affecting Drain Life's damage.
Increases Spell Power by 15% but reduces healing received from allies by 25%.
- Healing from Healing Fountains, Regeneration Globes and Biotic Emitters is also reduced.
- Self-healing from Gul'dan's Abilities and Talents is not reduced, and is in fact increased due to Spell Power. However, because this is done by increasing the healing dealt by Gul'dan by 40% and reducing healing received by 25%, the increase in self-healing is only 5% rather than the intended value of 15%, as these modifiers stack with each other multiplicatively.
- Spell Power from Hunger for Power stacks additively with itself and other sources of Spell Power as well as other offensive damage modifiers and healing dealt modifiers affecting Gul'dan.
- All healing modifiers from this Talent are disabled while affected by Xul's Mortal Wound healing reduction.
Cooldown: 80 seconds
After a short delay, deal 120 damage and fear enemy Heroes in the area for 2 seconds.
Cooldown: 70 seconds
After 1.5 seconds, summon a rain of meteors in an area for 7 seconds. Each meteor deals 165 damage in a small area.
Hitting an enemy Hero with Fel Flame grants 50 Spell Armor for 2.5 seconds, reducing Ability Damage taken by 50%.
- Does not stack with itself or other positive Armor effects.
Drain Life heals for 75% more Health when used on Heroes.
- Stacks additively with effects that affect healing dealt, and multiplicatively with effects that affect healing received by Gul'dan.
Guldan's maximum Health is permanently increased by 40% but his Death Respawn time is increased by 10 seconds.
Cooldown: 45 seconds
Active: Activate to heal for 25% of Gul'dan's maximum Health.
- Cannot be used when Gul'dan is at maximum Health.
Fel Flame's damage is increased by 12% for 5 seconds when hitting an enemy Hero. This can stack up to 5 times.
- Stacks additively with itself and other offensive damage modifiers affecting Fel Flame's damage.
Corruption deals an additional 78 damage on impact. If the enemy is hit by all three strikes, the third strike deals 268 damage.
- Three hit damage is dealt instead of the initial damage of the third hit.
Dealing 600 damage to enemy Heroes causes the next cast of Life Tap to cost no Health and grant Gul'dan 25% Spell Power for 5 seconds.
- Stored damage does not scale upon level up, but fully charged effect remains activatable.
- Spell Power from Darkness Within stacks additively with itself and other sources of Spell Power as well as other offensive damage modifiers and healing dealt modifiers affecting Gul'dan.
Increases the duration of Horrify by 1 second, and while Feared, enemies lose 20 Armor, causing them to take 20% increased damage.
Rain of Destruction Slows enemies' Movement Speed by 90% for 0.5 seconds.
Cooldown: 60 seconds
Active: Summon a Demonic Circle at your location. Activate to teleport to the Demonic Circle.
- Grants two active abilities: Summon Demonic Circle for setting up the circle and Teleport to Demonic Circle for teleporting to it.
Summon Demonic Circle
- Only one Demonic Circle may be active at a time.
- Demonic Circle is removed, if Gul'dan dies.
Teleport to Demonic Circle
- Requires an active Demonic Circle.
- Active Demonic Circles are removed when Teleport to Demonic Circle is used.
Builds and guides
|Backstory: Abandoning the ways of shamanism, Gul'dan entered a pact with the demon lord Kil'jaeden and betrayed his people in exchange for limitless power. With the orcish Horde under his master's thrall, both Draenor and Azeroth nearly fell into his grasp.|
625 / 7,000
120 / 75
120 / 75
Balespider (tier 12 warlock set)
|Backstory: The Balespider's Burning Vestments were woven from the cinderwebs of the Red Widow, Beth'tilac. Only by enduring the flames of the Firelands can a Warlock know its searing embrace.|
|Features: Themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Warcraft tier sets skins.|
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
|Backstory: The avatars of the Dark Nexus are twisted reflections of heroes and villains. While they may wear familiar guises, they are, in truth, chaos and hatred incarnate... an ancient evil that can only be bargained with: never controlled.|
|Features: Altered voice-over, themed abilities, themed animations.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Dark Nexus skins.|
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 600
350 / 600
|Backstory: With his deception complete, Gul'dan need no longer hide his face beneath a cowl. He is Darkness Incarnate, and all of the Nexus shall behold his true power in the war between shadow and light.|
120 / 75
120 / 75
120 / 75
120 / 75
Making It Rain
Old Timey Gul'dan
Stylized Shadow Council Gul'dan
- Gul'dan first appeared in Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (December 1995).
- His book appearence was seven years later, in The Last Guardian (December 2002).
- Gul'dan is voiced by Paul Eiding in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, and by Troy Baker in Heroes of the Storm, World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor, and World of Warcraft: Legion.
- In the Warcraft movie, Gul'dan is portrayed by Daniel Wu. Codes to unlock Gul'dan in Heroes of the Storm were included in select physical editions of the movie on Blu-ray and DVD.
- Gul'dan's model in Heroes of the Storm was based on his WarCraft II sprite merged with aspects of his Warlords of Draenor appearance. His colour scheme matches his sprite while his body shape and face are more like how he appears currently. His quotes make it clear that he's the one from the original world, but he also references some of new Gul'dan's lines (there's something of a running joke with him trying to get people to drink demon blood). Finally, the spikes on his back are made of bone like Draenor's Gul'dan due to the corruption, whereas in the original game they were part of his robes.
- Gul'dan was confirmed to be in the works at BlizzCon 2015.
- The design process behind Gul'dan's abilities was explained by Kent-Erik Hagman: "And we worked out, well, we don't want any more summoners in the game because Azmodan and Zagara have added enough health bars to the game, we don't want that UI clutter. So how can we get the warlock fantasy without doing summons? We knew we wanted to do Life Tap, it's basically our version of a trait or hero power is Life Tap. It's so perfect for warlock, it speaks to the mentality of "Give me power now, I'll deal with the consequences later." You know? That's so warlock fantasy. So we built around Life Tap, which lead to this whole queue which started out really complicated like "Oh, if you keep casting it, it gets stronger, it costs more mana," it was really complicated and after playing it for a while, and the toolset was like two paragraphs long, we thought "Wait, what if you just made it a really low cool down and a really high mana cost?" So we did that and it was like "Wow, it's the exact same gameplay with a fifth of the rules!" And from there it was like, well okay, if you're gonna have a low cooldown, spammable thing, obviously it's going to be insanely bursty, so you can kind of keep doing it all the time. And that's where he became the sustained damage mage. Just off of that interaction right there, the trait and the queue … the Drain Life, that's very warlocky, fed right into the trait as well."
- Legion Gul'dan resembles the version of the character featured in Warlords of Draenor and Legion.
- First War Gul'dan resembles Gul'dan as he appears in the Warcraft movie.
- One of Gul'dan's gag quotes references the book Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future by philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.
- Unusually for Gul'dan, this version of the character lacks a staff, while portrayals of his movie, alternate, and even main universe versions have all included a staff at some point; often topped with a skull.
- Reddit: Gul'dan Confirmed, accessed on 2016-06-17
- Reddit: Gul'dan confirmed on recent Heroes panel, accessed on 2015-11-06
- Video Games Interview: Blizzard’s Kent-Erik Hagman on the past, present and future of Heroes of the Storm
- In Development: Gul'dan, Auriel, Skins, and Mounts!
- Gul'dan Hero Week
- Gul'dan - Heroes of the Storm
- Gul'dan - World of Warcraft
- Gul'dan - Wowpedia
- Gul'dan Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Gul'dan Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm
|Bruisers||Artanis • Chen • Deathwing • Dehaka • D.Va • Gazlowe • Hogger • Imperius • Leoric • Malthael • Ragnaros • Rexxar • Sonya • Thrall • Varian • Xul • Yrel|
|Healers||Alexstrasza • Ana • Anduin • Auriel • Brightwing • Deckard • Kharazim • Li Li • Lt. Morales • Lúcio • Malfurion • Rehgar • Stukov • Uther • Tyrande • Whitemane|
|Melee Assassins||Alarak • The Butcher • Illidan • Kerrigan • Maiev • Murky • Qhira • Samuro • Valeera • Zeratul|
|Ranged Assassins||Azmodan • Cassia • Chromie • Falstad • Fenix • Gall • Genji • Greymane • Gul'dan • Hanzo • Jaina • Junkrat • Kael'thas • Kel'Thuzad • Li-Ming • Lunara • Mephisto • Nazeebo • Nova • Orphea • Probius • Raynor • Sgt. Hammer • Sylvanas • Tassadar • Tracer • Tychus • Valla • Zagara • Zul'jin|
|Support||Abathur • The Lost Vikings • Medivh • Zarya|
|Tanks||Anub'arak • Arthas • Blaze • Cho • Diablo • E.T.C. • Garrosh • Johanna • Mal'Ganis • Mei • Muradin • Stitches • Tyrael|