The free Hero rotation or free-to-play Hero rotation is a set of 14 Heroes playable for free in the game modes Training, Versus A.I., Quick Match, Unranked Draft, Storm League and in Custom Games, by all players. The rotation normally changes on Tuesday, usually offering an entirely new selection of Heroes. Access to the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Hero of the weekly rotation is unlocked when a player reaches level 5, 10, 15 and 20 respectively.
Current free rotationFree rotation: May 3 - 10, 2022
|Normal Rotation||Extra Slots|
|Any Level||Levels 5, 10, 15 and 20.|
List of previous free rotations
- In the early Technical Alpha, the developers temporarily allowed Raynor as an additional 8th free hero, in order to ease new players' transition out of the tutorial.
- The store closed on September 22, 2014. After that, all Heroes were temporarily free to play until September 29, 2014.
- On December 8, 2015, the weekly rotation was expanded from seven to ten free Hero slots.
- From April 8 to 11, 2016, all Heroes became temporarily free to play to celebrate the Heroes of the Dorm grand final.
- On March 14, 2017, the weekly rotation was expanded from 10 to 14 Hero slots.
- On May 2, 2017, the unlockable Hero slots' minimum level requirements were raised from 5, 7, 12 and 15 to 5, 10, 15 and 20 respectively, to correspond with the new hero leveling system.
- In late 2019, Blizzard stopped updating the free Hero rotation posts on the official forums (free Heroes still continue to be marked as such on the official website).
- From March 20 to April 13 of 2020, all Heroes were free due to the COVID-19 pandemic, to encourage players to stay safe and quarantine.
- From February 19 to March 20 of 2021, all Heroes were free to celebrate Blizzard's 30th anniversary.
- On June 8th of 2021, the Free Rotation didn't change due to unknown reasons, and remained the same until the 17th, as the following week's free rotation also got delayed by two days.