"I bring panda-monium!"
|Price||500 / 4,000|
|Release Date||September 10, 2014|
Chen is a potent Bruiser who will dominate if the enemy team is lacking mobility.
This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Chen Stormstout is a wanderer, adventurer and keg-emptier -- and this world-class brewmaster has left an indelible mark on Azeroth's history.
Chen Stormstout was born and raised on the Wandering Isle, a massive landmass on the back of the giant turtle Shen-zin Su. There, he developed his superior fighting skills and the desire to explore and discover new lands (and new ingredients for his legendary brews) like the traveling Pandaren who left Pandaria thousands of years past. Chen's wanderlust led him into adventure after adventure, from the creation of the wildly popular Brewfest event to the very founding of Durotar, where he fought along with the re-formed Horde to establish it in its new home.
Years later, along with his niece, Li Li, Chen embarked on a quest that led him to the mystical Pearl of Pandaria, and with the help of the artifact, he visited his ancestors' home, Pandaria, for the first time. Not long after, the Horde and the Alliance discovered the continent and rekindled their conflict, placing Chen (once again!) squarely in the middle of history.
Chen is a very unique and durable melee Bruiser with solid damage output, high self-sustain, disruptive capabilities and conditional mobility, which allow him to do well in a multitude of ways. Chen functions around his Trait, Fortifying Brew to Shield himself and recover a resource called "Brew", which replaces Mana. "Brew" is used for two (three) of his Basic Abilities: Flying Kick leaps over a targeted area, dealing a medium amount of damage. Keg Smash deals a small amount of damage and applies Brew to enemies in the targeted area, a debuff that Slows enemies and can be Ignited with Breath of Fire, which deals Area of Effect damage in a cone shape in front of Chen. Chen's third Basic Ability is called Stagger and requires no "Brew" to be activated. Instead, it is a Basic Ability that negates all damage taken for a few seconds and then applies 75% of that damage to Chen.
His first Heroic Ability is Wandering Keg, which turns Chen into an Unstoppable barrel with high Movement Speed and some Armor that can also Knockback enemies into dangerous positions, secure Control Points (such as Mercenary Camps, including Boss) or be used to escape in case of danger.
His other Heroic Ability, Storm, Earth, Fire, allows Chen to split into 3 'Elemental Spirits' that have 70% of his maximum Health each and give him access to unique Abilities in place of Basic Abilities. This splitting process puts Chen into Stasis, removing most debuffs from Chen, including any Damage over Time effects (including his own self-damage from Stagger). If all of the 'Elemental Spirits' die, Chen dies too. When Storm, Earth, Fire ends, Chen returns with exactly the same amount of Health he had just before successfully casting it.
- Storm is a survivability tool that gives a Shield to every Elemental Spirit for a few seconds when not empowered or extends the duration of every Elemental Spirit from 12 to 17 seconds and gives them a more powerful Shield without a time limit when empowered;
- Earth is an engage tool that allows you to close the gap to enemy Heroes with a jump toward a target area within 9 range, then deals 32 damage and Slows enemies hit when not empowered or deals 128 damage and Roots enemy Heroes hit when empowered;
- Fire is a damage boost that increases Attack Speed and Attack Damage for 5 seconds to every Elemental Spirit, by 50% when not empowered or 75% when empowered.
- High single target sustained damage versus Heroes
- High in-combat sustain through Shielding
- Dive potential
- Not reliant on Mana
- Conditional mobility
- Powerful and flexible HeroicAabilities
- Strong bodyblocker
- Versatile playstyle
- Hard to gank
- Prone to being interrupted (when drinking Brew, or when casting Storm, Earth, Fire)
- Low waveclear and camp clear for a Bruiser
- Weak in fights before level 10
- Predictable playstyle
- See Data Page for a table of scaled values at key levels.
Basic Attacks against Brew-soaked enemies deal 40% more damage and heal Chen for 40% of the damage done.
- Stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers affecting Chen's Basic Attack damage.
Increase the healing duration of Regeneration Globes by 150%.
❢ Quest: Gather 15 Regeneration Globes.
❢ Reward: Reduce Fortifying Brew's cooldown by 2 seconds, and 50% of its Shield persists indefinitely after drinking.
Chen heals for 3.5% of his maximum Health when his Basic Abilities hit an enemy Hero.
- Damage over Time ticks from Ignited enemies do not trigger healing.
Flying Kick no longer costs Brew. Additionally, its damage is increased by 125% while Chen has Shields from Fortifying Brew.
- Stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers that can affect Flying Kick's damage.
Increase Ignited damage by 20%. Basic Attacks against enemy Heroes who are Ignited increase its duration by 0.75 seconds.
- Extends the duration of Ignited even if Chen is Blinded or the target is Evading.
- Does not increase the duration of Brew-soaked debuff.
- Stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers that can affect Breath of Fire's damage.
Igniting an enemy Hero reduces their Spell Power by 60% for 4 seconds.
- Stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers that can affect the target's Spell Damage output.
Increase the duration of Stagger's damage prevention by 1.5 seconds and reduce the amount of damage taken over time to 50% of damage taken.
While at or below 50 Brew, gain 20% Movement Speed. While at or above 50 Brew, regenerate an additional 18 Health per second.
Cooldown: 25 seconds
Active: Activate to gain 30% Movement Speed and Evade enemy Basic Attacks for 2 seconds. Chen's Basic Attacks reduce this cooldown by 2 seconds.
Cooldown: 50 seconds
Roll around inside an Unstoppable barrel with 70% increased Movement Speed and 25 Armor, dealing 59 damage to enemies in the way and knocking them back. Lasts for 5 seconds.
Cooldown: 100 seconds
After 1 second, Chen splits into three elemental spirits for 12 seconds, each with 70% of Chen's maximum Health and a unique Ability. The last spirit Ability that is cast is empowered. If all three spirits are killed, Chen will die as well.
Storm can grant the spirits a Shield.
Earth can leap to an area and Slow Enemies.
Fire can grant the spirits Attack Speed, damage.
Flying Kick Slows the target enemy by 40% for 1 second, or by 80% if Chen has Shields from Fortifying Brew.
Increase the Slow from Keg Smash by 20% and its duration by 0.5 seconds.
- Also increases the duration of Brew-soaked debuff.
After Igniting an enemy, become bathed in a fiery aura, dealing 55 damage every second to nearby enemies for 5 seconds.
- Ring of Fire does not affect unaggroed neutral mercenaries.
- Damaging enemy Heroes with Ring of Fire does not trigger tower aggro.
- Damage from Ring of Fire is unaffected by offensive damage modifiers and lifesteal effects.
Fortifying Brew instantly grants Chen a Shield that absorbs 180 damage, and each second grants nearby allied Heroes a Shield that absorbs 140 damage, up to 420.
- Does not increase Fortifting Brew's Shield cap.
- Allied Shield does not benefit from talents enhancing Fortifying Brew.
- Subsequent applications refresh the duration.
Increase Flying Kick's range by 15% and reduce its cooldown by 0.5 seconds each time an enemy Hero takes damage from being Ignited.
Basic Attacks against Stunned, Rooted or Slowed enemy Heroes reduce the cooldown of Stagger by 2 seconds and grant Chen 30 Armor for 3 seconds.
Every 3rd Basic Attack against the same target deals 75% bonus damage. While Chen has Shields from Fortifying Brew and for 2 seconds afterward, he gains 35% Attack Speed.
Increase Wandering Keg's Movement Speed from 70% to 125% and grants 75 Armor for its duration and 3 seconds afterward, reducing damage taken by 75%.
- Does not stack with other positive Armor effects. Other defensive damage modifiers, like Stagger's damage reduction, may stack.
Increases the spirits' Health to 100% of Chen's maximum Health and all of their Abilities are empowered.
Casting Fortifying Brew grants Chen Unstoppable for 1.5 seconds.
If Chen channels Fortifying Brew for its full duration, then he gains 20% bonus Health and 20% bonus damage for 25 seconds.
- Does not stack with itself. Subsequent applications refresh the duration.
- Stacks additively with other damage modifiers affecting Chen's damage output.
- Energizing Brew buff is removed upon successfully casting Storm, Earth, Fire.
- Health increase is based on Chen's maximum Health regardless of Chen's current Health.
- Upon expiration, Chen retains any Health gained through Energizing Brew that does not exceed his base maximum Health.
Builds and guides
|Thegreat610's Chen Builds (2021-02-04)|
|Builds and Roles|
|Role: Offlane (Damage/Flying Kick Build)|
|Role: Offlane (Utility/Breath of Fire Build)|
|Role: Semi-Carry (Damage/Basic Attack Build)|
|Role: Semi-Carry (Supportive/Fortifying Brew Build)|
|Backstory: To be a Brewmaster is to be an explorer, a lover of nature, and when the need arises; a powerful fighter. For years Chen Stormstout has wandered the world of Azeroth in search of rare ingredients, stirring stories, and of course, good brew.|
500 / 4,000
120 / 75
|Backstory: Why do we fight? To protect home, and family. To preserve balance, and bring harmony. For Chen, the true question is: What is worth fighting for?|
120 / 75
120 / 75
120 / 75
|Backstory: The limitless realms of the Nexus are the perfect place for a world-wanderer like Chen Stormstout. Who knows what secret ingredients and lost tales are waiting to be discovered!|
120 / 75
120 / 75
120 / 75
|Backstory: The Warmasters serve as the unbreakable front line of Lei Shen's Grand Army. Once the Kaldorei are broken before him, the Well of Eternity will belong to the Thunder King forever.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Warcraft alternative shared history skins.|
250 / 300
250 / 300
250 / 300
|Chen Event Skins|
|Backstory: The loremasters say that coins are a symbol of fortune and luck. During the Lunar Festival, elders hand out Coins of Ancestry to those who seek them out and pay their respects.|
|Features: Themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of holiday skins.|
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
Lunar Chen Lantern
Robo Chen Insignia
Toy Wandering Keg
On June 10, 2019, the Heroes of the Storm development team released the patch notes on the Public Test Realm (PTR) that included a full-blown rework to Chen. The task of ripping apart his kit and putting it together in the right order was put in the hands of Live Designer Adam Jackson. Jackson sat down with [http://www.invenglobal.com/ InvenGlobal} to discuss his plan of attack for Chen.
For Chen, Jackson saw an opportunity to create a new, more dynamic playstyle for him while keeping the fantasy of playing as a Pandaren brewmaster alive. There were a few problems he saw in the kit that they were looking to solve. The biggest one was his Trait. It was really hard to design around and to balance around because there are really two parts as to what the identity of Chen is. The first is that he has kind of a cadence to his Abilities. They are all very low cooldown. He has a rhythm that he gets into where he kicks in, he does his Keg Smash, he breathes his fire to light the Brew and then he drinks to mitigate the damage before he cycles and does it again. The key issue was that so much of his power was tied to drinking Brew and it was so important to the rest of his kit. And while that is not necessarily a problem for a lot of Heroes when they have one main thing they want to focus on, for Chen, it defined what he wanted to do and his counterplay. It created a lot of binary interactions where a lot of the counter-play to Chen was, 'Do you have CC (Crowd Control) to stop him from drinking?' And 'Can you kill him before he drinks again?' For Chen, it was, 'How do you not let that happen?'
At first, it seemed like it worked pretty well but then as we made more and more heroes that bring different types of CC to the table, it became pretty easy to draft a team that has at least one CC or multiple interrupts that could stop him from drinking. The natural question of "Why doesn't Chen's Trait grant him Unstoppable so he isn't impacted by CC when drinking?" floated around the Heroes' community. But Jackson felt that might cause more issues than it solves. Making it Unstoppable would have definitely made him better and it would have made him more viable. But, in Adam Jacksons mind, it would not have really solved the issue of creating interesting play and counterplay moments with Chen. All that it would have done was removed counterplay from him. Now the interaction would have become more binary where it is 'Can Chen out-drink the amount of damage that the enemy team is dealing to him?' If yes, then he just wins. If no, then they will just pump damage into him and kill him. Jackson and the team found a middle-ground by tweaking the numbers on his Trait and adding Stagger as his E-ability to mitigate damage. According to Jackson, he wanted Chen to have the feel of a World of Warcraft multi-phase raid boss where you have to pay attention to multiple things at once.
Long-time Chen players know that hitting level 10 meant two options: Do I go with the fun/meme-y Heroic (Wandering Keg) or the thematically awesome but pretty low-impact one (Storm, Earth. Fire)? Neither of them turned the tide of team fights very much but Wandering Keg could prove useful, if used properly, so it was generally the go-to selection. Jackson knew that had to change, so he tackled the seldom selected one and gave it a facelift: "I really wanted to improve the Heroics in different ways. Storm, Earth, Fire was a bigger headache because it is such an iconic ability that I didn't think we can get rid of it but I wasn't too happy with the way the ability worked on live because it was kind of spammable. You just used it and it frustrated the enemy team and you use it to get out of a bad situation and then Chen's clones would just kind of hop away and become more difficult to manage. It was kind of simple to execute sometimes but frustrating for opponents because you couldn't really do much about it as it was difficult to kill all three. With that Heroic specifically, I really wanted to try tone down the mobility a little bit. I kind of figured it's cool that Chen can bait opponent's a little bit before he dies as you start channeling his Heroic then you can pop it and run away but I thought I was a little too easy to get away. Instead, I wanted to play up, 'Okay, what if we had these abilities be really, really strong and Chen could only use them once?' So we tried that and I felt like it was a pretty big hit. We just tried to rip off of that and we thought 'What if the power wasn't in the abilities themselves but in the order that you use them?' So that is how we came up with each ability being really strong but the last one that you use is empowered and that, when we first played with it, was a slam dunk. Depending on the situation at-hand, Chen's empowered move can be used to deal added damage, increase survivability or create some CC of his own."
- Chen first appeared in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (July 2003).
- His book debut was a decade later, in Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (July 2013).
- Chen's Heroes of the Storm incarnation's Keg Smash and Breath of Fire Abilities, as well as the Elusive Brawler and Storm, Earth, Fire talents, strongly resemble the Pandaren Brewmaster hero that represented him within Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.
- Chen is voiced by Keone Young.
- Chen was one of the three Heroes revealed at Gamescom 2014.
- Chen is one of two pandaren heroes in Heroes of the Storm, the other being Li Li Stormstout, his niece.
The Blizzard DOTA models of Chen and various other heroes.
- 2013-11-09, BlizzCon 2013 – Heroes of the Storm – Concept Art and Screenshots. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-11-14
- 2014-03-18, Hero Interaction Strings - Introduction Questions, accessed on 2014-03-18
- InvenGlobal: Developer insight into the delicate balance behind Chen’s rework
- 2014-08-13, New Heroes Revealed at Gamescom 2014, accessed on 2014-08-13
- Developer Insights: Chen and his Brew
- Chen Hero Week
- Chen - Heroes of the Storm
- Chen Stormstout - Wowpedia
- Chen Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Chen Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Chen Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm
|Bruisers||Artanis • Chen • Deathwing • Dehaka • D.Va • Gazlowe • Hogger • Imperius • Leoric • Malthael • Ragnaros • Rexxar • Sonya • Thrall • Varian • Xul • Yrel|
|Healers||Alexstrasza • Ana • Anduin • Auriel • Brightwing • Deckard • Kharazim • Li Li • Lt. Morales • Lúcio • Malfurion • Rehgar • Stukov • Uther • Tyrande • Whitemane|
|Melee Assassins||Alarak • The Butcher • Illidan • Kerrigan • Maiev • Murky • Qhira • Samuro • Valeera • Zeratul|
|Ranged Assassins||Azmodan • Cassia • Chromie • Falstad • Fenix • Gall • Genji • Greymane • Gul'dan • Hanzo • Jaina • Junkrat • Kael'thas • Kel'Thuzad • Li-Ming • Lunara • Mephisto • Nazeebo • Nova • Orphea • Probius • Raynor • Sgt. Hammer • Sylvanas • Tassadar • Tracer • Tychus • Valla • Zagara • Zul'jin|
|Support||Abathur • The Lost Vikings • Medivh • Zarya|
|Tanks||Anub'arak • Arthas • Blaze • Cho • Diablo • E.T.C. • Garrosh • Johanna • Mal'Ganis • Mei • Muradin • Stitches • Tyrael|