"Need a light?"
|Price||750 / 10,000|
|Release Date||January 9, 2018|
Corporal Miles "Blaze" Lewis, the Veteran Firebat, is a ranged Tank Hero from the StarCraft universe. He has always been drawn to the flame, but it wasn't until he joined up with Raynor's Raiders that he put his pyromania to good use. He's seen his fair share of battles since then, and has never failed to bring the heat.
Blaze is a dual-incinerator cannon wielding Tank who excels at area-of-effect damage and locking down an area of the battlefield. Get ready to fire it up!
This section concerns content exclusive to the StarCraft universe.
Lewis's infatuation with fire began in his childhood. Later in life, he had the opportunity to join Raynor's Raiders and fight for the future of the Terran Dominion. He hesitated, but when he learned he could become a firebat, that sealed the deal. His tendency for pyromania earned him the nickname "Blaze." After the fall of Arcturus Mengsk, Lewis joined the Dominion Armed Forces. He heard of the disappearance of Jim Raynor after the End War, and wondered what happened to his former commander.
Firebats are "armored assault troopers," often attached to provide support for marine squads. Particularly devastating in close quarters combat, they're typically armed with dual arm-mounted flame throwers and wear heat-resistant fireproof armor similar to those used by marines, although heavier.
Blaze is a ranged Tank who specializes in initiating fights and dealing area damage by spreading his flames.
- See Data page for a table of scaled values at key levels.
Cooldown: 30 seconds Passive: While over 80% Health, gain 25% bonus Attack Speed and 10% bonus Movement Speed.
Activate to gain 100% Attack Speed and 25% Movement Speed for 5 seconds.
Cooldown: 40 seconds
Active: Activate to gain a Shield that absorbs 590 damage over 5 seconds.
When taking damage while below 30% maximum Health, Endurance Stimpack will be automatically cast, if it's not on cooldown.
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Active: Activate to gain 40 Mana and cause Basic Ability cooldowns to recharge 100% faster for 5 seconds.
- Reduces Basic Ability cooldowns every 0.0625 seconds by 0.0625 seconds.
Collecting Regeneration Globes reduces the cooldown of Pyromania by 6 seconds.
❢ Quest: Collect 15 Regeneration Globes.
❢ Reward: Pyromania grants Unstoppable for 2 seconds.
Increase Oil Spill's area by 20%. Each enemy Hero hit by Flame Stream reduces the cooldown of Oil Spill by 0.75 seconds and refunds 5 Mana.
- Increases the radius of Oil puddles by 0.3, resulting in 0.6 bonus length and width.
- Effects trigger per stream. Enemies hit by both streams trigger the cooldown reduction and Mana refund for both of them.
Hitting an enemy Hero with Pyromania reduces their damage dealt by 8% for 2.5 seconds, up to 40%.
- Stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers that affect the target Hero's damage output.
Increase Basic Attack area by 15%, and Basic Attack damage to Minions, Mercenaries, and Monsters by 50%.
- Damage bonus stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers that can affect Blaze's Basic Attack damage.
Each stream of Flame Stream reduces the Spell Power of Heroes hit by 25% for 4 seconds, up to 50%.
- Only reduces Spell Damage, not healing dealt, despite the tooltip.
- Stacks additively with itself and other damage modifiers that can affect the target's Spell Damage.
Enemies standing in Oil Spills and Ignited Oil Spills have their Attack Speed reduced by 50% for 3 seconds.
Jet Propulsion creates Oil Spills along Blaze's path. If Jet Propulsion impacts an enemy Hero, an additional Oil Spill is created underneath them.
- Oil Spills created by Fuel Leak fully interact with all Talents affecting Oil Spill.
Cooldown: 70 seconds
After 0.5 seconds, deploy and enter a Bunker with 1435 Health. Blaze and his allies can enter and exit the Bunker at will. While in the Bunker, occupants gain access to Flamethrower, dealing 170 damage to enemies in a line.
Exiting the Bunker grants 25 Armor for 2 seconds. Bunkers last 10 seconds, or until destroyed.
Cooldown: 80 seconds
Channel for up to 2.6 seconds. Upon ending, Slow nearby enemies by 60% and deal 55 damage to them every 0.5 seconds. Combustion's Slow and damage over time duration is extended the longer Blaze Channels, from 1 second up to 5 seconds.
Blaze's Movement Speed is reduced by 40% while Channeling.
Increase Ignited Oil Spill damage by 45%.
❢ Quest: Damage enemy Heroes with Ignited Oil Spills 30 times.
❢ Reward: Increase Oil Spill's Ignite duration by 2.5 seconds.
- Damage bonus stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers that can affect Oil Spill's damage.
Enemies standing in Oil Spill when it is Ignited are Slowed by 40% and take 35% more Basic Attack damage from Blaze for 3 seconds. Additionally, Basic Attack splashes Ignite Oil Spills.
- Effects are applied only to enemies that are standing on an Oil Spill as it is being Ignited - enemies that enter the Oil Spill after it has been Ignited are unaffected.
- Slow is not removed by leaving the area of an Ignited Oil Spill.
- Adhesive Petroleum can be fully removed with Invulnerable and friendly Stasis effects. Unstoppable and CC removal effects only remove the Slow and not the damage bonus debuff.
- Damage bonus stacks additively with other offensive damage modifiers affecting Blaze's Basic Attack damage.
Jet Propulsion's collision deals 275 damage to the first enemy Hero hit.
- Damage is dealt in a separate instance.
Each enemy hit by Jet Propulsion grants 10 Armor for 3 seconds and reduces its cooldown by 1.25 seconds.
- Stacks additively with itself, but not with other positive Armor effects. Other defensive damage modifiers may stack.
Heal for 75% of the damage dealt by Pyromania.
- Healing amount is a fixed base amount per target hit rather than being based on damage actually done.
- Healing can be affected by healing modifiers that increase Blaze's healing output (e.g. Spell Power) or healing received.
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Active: Activate to gain 50 Spell Armor for 3 seconds. Upon expiration, gain a Shield equal to 125% of the Spell Damage taken while Juggernaut Plating was active.
- Shield amount is calculated from final damage taken, after modifications.
- Shield from Juggernaut Plating does not expire.
Occupants can cast Oil Spill from Bunker Drop every 6 seconds. Additionally, Bunker Drop's Armor bonus upon exiting is increased by 25, and its duration by 1 second.
- When an Oil Spill is cast from the Bunker, it can only heal the Blaze who ignites it (only relevant in duplicate matches, i.e. if there are 2+ Blazes on the same team in ARAM. This is different from usual Ignited Oil Spill behavior).
- Additionally, Oil Spills placed by Heroes other than Blaze, when Ignited, only do the base damage of the Ability (as if it were placed by a level 0 Blaze).
While Channeling Combustion, Blaze's Movement Speed is no longer reduced, and nearby enemies are Slowed by 60%.
Basic Attacks Slow enemies by 5% and deal an additional 18 damage over 2.5 seconds. Stacks up to 5 times.
- Damage stacks up to 6 times, not 5, though the Slow stacks up to 5 times.
- Basic Attacks deal a tick of damage per new stack and refresh the duration of all stacks. They also restart the DoT tick timer for each stack, synchronizing them (so the next damage tick for all stacks will be 0.5s after the most recent Basic Attack).
- This also means DoT ticks that happen on the same server tick (1/16 s) as a Basic Attack generally happen twice (the DoT takes place and then the on-hit DoT tick from the Basic Attack resolves) There is observed to be about a 75% chance of this happening when a Basic Attack resolves, and a 25% chance of only 1 tick per stack, for reasons not fully understood. This is hypothesized to be because the Basic Attack, which applies and refreshes DoT durations, and the pre-scheduled DoT ticks happen on the same server tick, so which resolves first is arbitrary and effectively random (though deterministic in reality).
Builds and guides
|Backstory: Cpl. Miles "Blaze" Lewis has always been drawn to the flame, but it wasn't until he joined up with Raynor's Raiders that he put his pyromania to good use. He's seen his fair share of battles since then, and has never failed to bring the heat.|
750 / 10,000
120 / 75
120 / 75
|Backstory: After much experimentation, mo'arg engineers have succeeded in miniaturizing the fel reaver's design and fusing it with a captive sentient soul. The results are quite promising.|
|Features: Altered voice-over.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of other universes merging into Warcraft skins.|
250 / 300
250 / 300
250 / 300
250 / 300
250 / 300
375 / 450
|Backstory: Viper hunted him down. Slaughtered his brothers-in-arms. Now they're taken the one thing he truly loves in this world - his only daugther. The Firestorm is coming, and no snake will be spared the flame.|
|Features: Altered voice-over, themed animations.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Viper organization skins.|
600 / 1,200
600 / 1,200
600 / 1,200
Light It Up!
Máscara de Blaze
- The Firebat was shown at the Heroes of the Storm Character Design Panel during BlizzCon 2015 as a possible candidate for inclusion.
- Firebats made their debut in the original StarCraft (March 1998). Blaze was added to StarCraft II's Co-op Missions mode as an heroic outlaw for Tychus Findlay in 2018.
- Blaze's teaser video, "Need a Light?" was produced by Rocket Jump, a hybrid studio/production company led by Freddie Wong.
- Blaze is voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson.
- Blaze is the first ranged tank hero in the game, the second being Mei.
- Blaze's "Dominion" skin has the coloration and symbols of the Terran Dominion.
- Blaze's "Smokin'" skin references the character of Trevor "Smokin' Joe" Jacobs from the short story Stealing Thunder. The symbol he has on his shoulders and bunker is the symbol of the Kel-Morian Combine.
- This character and skin are likely a reference to Blizzard Entertainment artist Trevor Jacobs, as some other characters from the story share names with Blizzard employees.
- Blaze's rank of corporal reflects the rank of firebat units in the first StarCraft.
- Blaze is the only StarCraft Tank hero in the game.
- The Jet Propulsion ability may be a reference to the fact that the early CMC-230 XF firebat suits during the Guild Wars were outfitted with jetpacks, but due to reliability issues the design was scrapped.
- The Bunker Drop brings down a bunker, a terran defensive structure that allows infantry to take cover within it.
- The three "stimpack" abilities in the level 1 tier of abilities references the stimpack ability in StarCraft and StarCraft II, a chemical cocktail that served as a potent combat stimulant at the risk of harming the soldier. Firebats could use stimpacks in the first StarCraft and in StarCraft II's Co-op Missions.
- Incinerator Gauntlets and Juggernaut Plating talents reference two of the upgrades firebats can gain in the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty campaign and in Co-op Missions.
- Fortified Bunker is an upgrade for the bunker in the campaign of Wings of Liberty and as an unlockable upgrade for Jim Raynor in Co-op Missions.
- BlizzHeroes. (2017, December 21). Heroes of the Storm: Need a Light?. Twitter. Retrieved on 2017-12-21.
- Blaze Spotlight – Heroes of the Storm
- Blaze Quotations
- StarCraft Wiki: Firebat
- YouTube - Heroes of the Storm : BlizzCon 2015 Hero Deep Dive (HD), accessed on 2015-11-07
- Heroes of the Storm - Firebat Reveal + Vancouver!
- Blaze - Heroes of the Storm
- Miles Lewis - StarCraft Wiki
- Blaze Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Blaze Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm
|Bruisers||Artanis • Chen • Deathwing • Dehaka • D.Va • Gazlowe • Hogger • Imperius • Leoric • Malthael • Ragnaros • Rexxar • Sonya • Thrall • Varian • Xul • Yrel|
|Healers||Alexstrasza • Ana • Anduin • Auriel • Brightwing • Deckard • Kharazim • Li Li • Lt. Morales • Lúcio • Malfurion • Rehgar • Stukov • Uther • Tyrande • Whitemane|
|Melee Assassins||Alarak • The Butcher • Illidan • Kerrigan • Maiev • Murky • Qhira • Samuro • Valeera • Zeratul|
|Ranged Assassins||Azmodan • Cassia • Chromie • Falstad • Fenix • Gall • Genji • Greymane • Gul'dan • Hanzo • Jaina • Junkrat • Kael'thas • Kel'Thuzad • Li-Ming • Lunara • Mephisto • Nazeebo • Nova • Orphea • Probius • Raynor • Sgt. Hammer • Sylvanas • Tassadar • Tracer • Tychus • Valla • Zagara • Zul'jin|
|Support||Abathur • The Lost Vikings • Medivh • Zarya|
|Tanks||Anub'arak • Arthas • Blaze • Cho • Diablo • E.T.C. • Garrosh • Johanna • Mal'Ganis • Mei • Muradin • Stitches • Tyrael|